Saturday, July 2, 2016

Kitchen Time


Kitchen Time,

Sometimes I feel like I am a bit bassakwards in the kitchen.  Or maybe this is genius, you be the judge.  I use a kitchen scissors way more than I do a knife.  It is just easier for me to trim fat, chop herbs or dice mushrooms in the can.  That’s right, I dice my mushrooms right in the can, it’s just easier.  I received my favorite (Fiskars) kitchen scissors from my former mother in law as a Christmas gift many many years ago.  I’ve never had it sharpened or repaired.  I have tried others, and just don’t like them.

Another weird thing I do is use paper plates as a disposable cutting board.  I bought a flexible cutting board at a flea market and have not pulled it put since I brought it home.  It is just as easy to grab a paper plate dice up what I need to and dump it in the pot. 

 
 



All of this weirdness came to me as I’m making one of our favorite side dishes for lunch, so here’s the recipe for my sautéed vegetables and rice.

1 ½ Cup White Rice Uncooked

½ Cup Chopped Onion (you can use more or less)

1 4oz Can of Mushrooms not drained

¼ Cup Grated Parm

¼ Cup Shredded Mozzarella

¼ Cup Chopped Chives

¼ Cup Olive Oil

1 Tablespoon of Montreal Steak Seasoning (I use this stuff on everything)

3 Cups of water

Sauté the onions in the olive oil, add the uncooked rice and sauté until the rice gets translucent. Add the seasoning, water and can of chopped mushrooms. Bring this to a boil and reduce heat, cover and let cook until rice is fully cooked. Turn off the heat and add the chives, parm and mozzarella.  Mix well and serve hot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment